How do we create sustainable, ethical skincare?
The concept of ethical skincare takes into account the land, producers, farmers, and purity of products. Ethical skincare means that plants are organically cultivated or harvested using ethical wildcrafting practices. We stand firmly against the unnecessary use of endangered or at-risk plants who’s populations have been decimated by over-harvesting or ingredients who’s production negatively impacts ecosystems and communities. Ingredients are pure to promote wellness without harm. Environmentally responsible practices are engaged through organic farming, rejecting GMO ingredients, using glass and recycled packaging materials. We seek to have as little of a negative impact on our natural world as possible. Products are formulated to invoke a sense of communing with nature. When we use ingredients from the earth, we are anointing ourselves with the healing capacity of plants, our cells recognize plant medicine.
- Products are free of GMOs, parabens and other unsafe chemical ingredients.
- Our products are not tested on animals. Most are vegan with the exception of our Cardamom Marshmallow Lip Balm, Sage + Frankincense Hydrating Whip and Geranium + Clary Sage Body Butter, that are formulated with beeswax.
- Our products are made with certified organic ingredients or consciously wildcrafted botanicals.
- We use only natural, safe preservatives to keep your products lasting. We recommend using up moisturizers, creams, and toners within 6 months of purchase, oils, exfoliants, and serums are best used within 1 year of purchase. You may store tightly closed products in your clean refrigerator to extend their shelf life.
- We produce small batch skincare to ensure that products are as fresh and vital as possible when they are purchased.
- Unlike most formulators, we create our own herbal extracts rom scratch to minimize the transportation footprint of ingredients. We are able to control the potency of our botanical extracts by harvesting herbs when they are most vital, and infusing herbal extracts over full moon cycles.
- Products are formulated synergistically with the actions and safe use of what goes into our products. Each product is formulated by a trained herbalist and aromatherapist with over 10 years experince in the organic skincare industry.
- We support local suppliers and access as many herbs as possible from local organic farmers.
- We support a new vision for modern beauty that is based on self-care rather than encouraging women and girls to strive for an unattainable standard of beauty.
- Products are typically shipped within 5-7 business days after receiving an order. We produce small-batch goods so that the products you receive are as fresh and potent as possible.
- Due to the nature of our products we are unable to offer refunds for opened/used products. Please reach out to us via email if you have any questions about suitable products and we would be happy to offer guidance to choose the best product for your skin’s needs before purchasing.
You can find Communion Botanicals products at the following locations:
Emery Herbals in Winlaw, BC
Kootenay Co-op in Nelson, BC
Scout Clothing in Nelson, BC
Luminesce Organic Spa in Edmonton, AB
Still North Retreat Co. in Saskatoon, SK
Mille Fiore Spa in Victoria, BC
The Mason Jar in White Rock, BC